Revision as of 13:03, 30 September 2009 by Dadams34
AMAC'S STYLE GUIDE FOR STAFF WHO ARE CREATING WIKI PAGES
The AMACWiki will be the primary repository for information about AMAC. Our website will become a basic framework that points often to our Wiki. Our Wiki will also replace many documents from our Document Library.
- Insert links generously within Wiki pages. This will allow for greater navigational and organizational capabilities within our Wiki for our readers.
- Instead of linking only the Header of a section; link the different topics underneath that header.
- Instead of duplicating information that can be found elsewhere; simply link to it.
- How to link to external websites.
- How to link to another AMACWiki page.
Avoid heavy content on your portal's main page
- AMACWiki's main page and the main page of each portal should be primarily organizational in nature. These pages should typically only contain table of contents, headers, bulleted lists, and links. For example: Let us refer to AMACWiki's main page as the 1st level, and then our portal's main page as the 2nd level. The 1st and 2nd levels of Wiki pages would be the organizational framework for the information to come. The content of your portal will be found at the 3rd level. If you find that your content in the 3rd level is quite long, then consider dividing the information even further and linking to a 4th level of content.
Naming a Wiki page
- When creating a new Wiki page, be aware that the title you create for it will appear in the A-Z index. Please choose a title that will be easy to locate in that index. Please look at the A-Z index for examples of naming conventions.
Are your statements backed up by Policy and Procedure?
- Every applicable Wiki page needs to be backed up and supported by the policies and procedures found on the Administration Wiki. Linking and referencing the Administration Wiki is recommended.
- Please assign a category to applicable pages. This also increases our Wiki's navigational potential.
- To assign a category:
- Look to see what categories already exist before creating a new one.
- Once you have chosen a category, then simply add the following to the top of your page while in editing mode-
[[Category:the name of the category you have chosen]] Example: [[Category:Staff]]
- Word documents and spreadsheets, in most cases, should not be embedded. Instead, please take a moment to turn that spreadsheet into a Wiki table, and to copy and paste that text from your word document into a Wiki page. This will allow us to take full advantage of the benefits that Wiki offers (i.e. can see who edited it and when, can revert back to a previous version of it at anytime, can compare between different versions of it, can email it, can print it, can help us do away with the document library and never have to spend a lot of time trying to find a document again...)
- It is okay to embed files such as .jpg and .pdf
- In order to maintain consistency, if you have a video that you would like to share from the Wiki, please use Screencast.