AMAC Production Policies
Jump to navigation Jump to search
In order to ensure efficient and timely response to our customers, AMAC implements the following policies regarding the production alternative media:
- Canceling Orders
- Orders with the status of “New” may be cancelled at any time. Once the status has changed to “Processing”, the customer is required to contact AMAC Technical Support to notify AMAC they need to cancel the order. AMAC will make every effort to stop the work. However, the customer will be charged for any work that has already been completed on the file. If the file has already been completed, then the customer is charged the initial cost as if they had received the file.
- Needs More Information status:
- If one of your orders is marked “needs more information” the order cannot be processed until all required information has been provided. Please read any notes or emails sent from AMAC regarding “Needs More Information” (NMI) orders. If NMI orders have no response from the Disability Service Provider within 21 days, AMAC reserves the right to cancel the order.
- Braille Orders
- For book or supplement braille orders to be processed, AMAC must have received a request for a quote and the estimate quote must be signed and returned to AMAC in writing by fax or mail before the Order can begin processing. Only test orders may be placed without a signed quote. However, tests may not be longer than 15 print pages. If a test is longer than fifteen print pages, then it must be approved by the Braille Coordinator or Production Manager. If a test over fifteen print pages is processed without prior approval, it will be billed based on membership pricing. All test orders will be reviewed and if an order is determined not to be a test, AMAC will notify the customer and then change the order to the correct braille type.
- Article/Journal/Course Readings
- All orders for such material are dependent upon approval by the E-Text Production Media Coordinator or Production Manager. Materials must be attached to each order, and the material must be in adequate condition to OCR. Considerations which determine “Adequate condition” includes: illegible print, handwritten material, skewed copy, smudged copy, etc. If we cannot process your order for any reason; you will receive an email notification notifying that the order has been cancelled.
- Graphic Novels (Comic Book like)
- Unless the text in the comic book is a font that an OCR engine can interpret - the only alternate format which AMAC can provide for these types of books is a scanned/image PDF.
- Definition of Alternative Text
- AMAC adds alternative text to figures in Microsoft Word Documents in the form of short summaries. These summaries are meant to convey the overall educational meaning of each figure. Graphics which do not add to the student's educational experience (aesthetic graphics) will not have alternative text added. Certain books provide extensive captions for figures, in these cases AMAC staff will determine if the caption is descriptive enough on its own without the addition of alternative text.
- STEM Books (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
- If e-text is ordered for a STEM book that contains a large amount of formulas, equations, and symbols - please be aware that these formulas, equations, and symbols will have limited to no accessibility depending upon the individual student’s needs. If a student needs to access STEM titles with a screen reader AMAC recommends choosing braille or audio on cd as the format.
- Reference Books
- Orders for reference books such as dictionaries and thesaurus’s will be cancelled. It is recommended that the student utilize an online version.