ClaroRead for PC
|ClaroRead for PC|
ClaroRead provides text to speech support tools that allow computer users to read and write independently. By making a computer speak any text with a human voice, text documents can be proofed out loud along with web pages, e-mails and any other text. ClaroRead can reduce reliance on teachers, partners, support staff and parents by giving its user the opportunity to achieve the same standards as everyone else.
- Close integration with Microsoft Word 2003 and 2007, and Internet Explorer 6 and 7 means you can click and play at any point in a document or web page.
- When used in Microsoft Word you can quickly and easily change the font size, colors and spacing and any word can be checked for definition and meaning with a single click on the ClaroRead for Mac toolbar.
- The toolbar also features a homophone checking tool which highlights these tricky words which sound alike but are spelt differently and have different meanings.
- Have the voice echo characters, words, sentences while typing (all applications).
- Includes a pronunciation editor for changing how the voice pronounces words.
- Under construction. Please check back later for these resources.
- Windows Vista, XP
- Sound Card
- 512 MB RAM or more is recommended
- 250MB Hard Disk Space Maximum Required
- Scanner Supporting TWAIN or WIA Drivers requried for Scan2Text scan from paper.
- Microsoft Word 2000, XP, 2003 or 2007 recommended
Q: "It's not reading anything any more!" or "I press Play and everything flashes really quickly in Word but no speech"
- Download and run SAPI5Test.exe - If none of the voices work, go to Step 2.
- Open Control Panel > "Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices"> "Speech". If the Speech panel does not appear, Try Cure Number 2 first.
- If it does appear, switch to the Microsoft Sam voice. Click the Preview button: no sound is produced, or an error message results. Try Cure Number 3 first.
Cure 1 Reinstall SAPI5
- You do this by downloading and running SAPI5.MSI from the Claro Software support website. If that does not work, proceed to Cure 2:
Cure 2 Re-register sapi.dll
- You can either download and run this program, or do it manually using the following instructions:
- 1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Speech". Right-click on sapi.dll, and select Open With from the drop-down menu, then select "Choose Program..." from the second menu.
- 2. This will open the Open With dialog. Click the Browse button.
- 3. Navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe".
- 4. Click OK and you should see "Microsoft (C) Register Server" as the selected program. Click OK.
- 5. You should see this message (or something very similar): "DLLRegisterServer in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Speech\sapi.dll succeeded."
Cure 3 Delete User Lexicons
- This is a known Microsoft problem with speech and way to cure it, Microsoft Fix 838659. You can find out more at the Microsoft website.
- 1. Click on Start and Run to bring up the Run box (on Vista, just click Start and start typing).
- 2. Enter %appdata% into the Run box and press Return.
- 3. Windows Explorer should now open in a folder called "Application Data". Navigate by double-clicking on folders to "Application Data\Microsoft\Speech\Files\UserLexicons". This will contain one or more files with very long filenames.
- 4. Delete all the files in this UserLexicons folder. They will be recreated next time speech is used.
- 5. Close Windows Explorer and restart your Claro program.
Q: How do I reset the ClaroRead settings?
- A: You need to run the ClaroRead Restore Settings Program: Navigate to the ClaroRead Program folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Claro Software\ClaroRead Plus 2008) and run "Restore Settings.exe".