Software Usage Agreement
CIDI and 3rd Party Technology Usage & Support Statement
CIDI realizes that having books in electronic format is only the first step in accessing them. Students must also have reading technology available to help unlock the information. With that in mind, CIDI works with assistive technology manufactures on behalf of its members to design special access licensing to software products that will help students use the alternative media files produced by CIDI. Further CIDI recognizes that students who have print related disabilities can often experience issues in other areas of learning; so when possible we have worked with our vendors to allow access to other assistive technology software that support writing and studying.
Because of the specialized agreements forged with assistive technology vendors it is important that schools understand the parameters for of the use and distribution of the software. This document is meant to serve as a guide to the use and distribution of the software provided in your CIDI Standard Membership as well as the support for the software.
- Software distributed by CIDI is meant for the expressed purpose of assisting students who receive CIDI produced material (Active CIDI Students [AAS]) through an CIDI Member institution.
- AAS can use the software for reasons other than reading CIDI material.
- AAS can download and use a single copy for home and school use.
- School personnel may use a copy of the software on school owned computers as a means to learn how to use the software and/or provide demonstrations or training to AAS, parents or other personnel.
- Member schools may make the software available on computers at school that are accessed by AAS, including training labs and resource centers.
- Software cannot be distributed by the CIDI member institution through other school run activities/programs as a means to support non-AAS; summer camps/programs, tutoring, evaluations, etc.
It is important to understand that supporting technology is a difficult task. With the multitude of combinations of software versions, patches, fixes along with a number of available operating systems, computer platforms and conflicting software, CIDI makes all attempts to do what it can to provide technical support to its members. Despite the considerable effort it is sometimes not possible to resolve issues. CIDI technical support has a high rate of problems solving and over the years we have amassed a great deal of knowledge that we use to support our members. Our staff is trained and stays abreast of the latest advancements in assistive technology.
As part of the agreement with assistive technology vendor partners, CIDI often agrees to act as frontline technical support for the products it distributes. Members may use the CIDI toll free number to report an issue with the software. The CIDI technical support and customer service staff will attempt to solve the issue or may refer the Member on to the vendor for more intensive technical support. We offer the following guidelines regarding CIDI technical support of 3rd party assistive technology software;
- CIDI only provides remote support; email and phone.
- We do not address issues related to equipment / hardware that is not owned by CIDI.
- We do not provide technical support for assistive technology other than those we represent through an active vendor agreement or contract.
- CIDI will provide support for its proprietary system software; CIDI Orders and SAM.
- CIDI develops support material; offers access to and can direct members to vendor support sites and manuals.
- As a means to be able to stay on top of issues CIDI controls the release of new versions of the software. This allows us to test and augment support material before distributing newer versions.
- CIDI cannot provide direct technical support for students under the age of 18 years or directly to a student’s parent/guardian.
- CIDI provided technical support for software ends when an institution is no longer an CIDI member or when a student leaves the CIDI member school.
- CIDI members should use the provided software at their own risk.
- CIDI does not assume responsibility for loss or damage of data or equipment related to the use of the software being distributed to CIDI members.